Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Microsoft Edge detected as Google Chrome!

I have been using ASP.NET Server Side Browser Detection in many of my web applications and I decided to check how Microsoft's new Edge browser would be detected.

Therefore, I decided to try it out and I was extremely surprised by the results!!

The User Agent string that showed up for Microsoft Edge was the following:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/42.0.2311.135 Safari/537.36 Edge/12.10240

For the Browser Name property, I ended up with the following:


For Browser Version and Browser Type information, I ended up with the following:


Even with Microsoft's .NET Framework v. 4.6, the result was the same!!

Therefore, until Microsoft fixes this major flaw in their ASP.NET Framework, you will not be able to use Server Side detection for the time being!!

If you want Microsoft to fix this issue, you can vote for this Connect item here: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1626463



No comments:

Post a Comment