If you want to look at the various Permission Levels in SharePoint 2013 and see what rights/privileges have been assigned to the various built-in SharePoint Permission Groups, it is not exactly intuitive to find where this is located in SharePoint.
- Go into Site Settings
- Click on Site Permissions
- In the Ribbon, click on Permission Levels
Below is the Permission Levels and their corresponding privileges:
- Full control - Has full control
- Design - Can view, add, update, delete, approve, and customize
- Edit - Can add, edit and delete lists; can view, add, update and delete list items and documents
- Contribute - Can view, add, update, and delete list items and documents
- Read - Can view pages and list items and download documents
- Limited Access - Can view specific lists, document libraries, list items, folders, or documents when given permissions
- Approve - Can edit and approve pages, list items, and documents
- Manage Hierarchy - Can create sites and edit pages, list items, and documents
- Restricted Read - Can view pages and documents, but cannot view historical versions or user permissions
- Restricted Interfaces for Translation - Can open lists and folders, and use remote interfaces
- View Only - Can view pages, list items, and documents. Document types with server-side file handlers can be viewed in the browser but not downloaded.