Saturday, March 17, 2012

Installing SharePoint 2010 with SQL Server 2012

Now that SQL Server 2012 has been officially released, I wanted to refresh my installation of SharePoint 2010 with SQL Server 2012 instead of using the built-in installation of SQL Server 2008 Express that ships with the standalone installation option.

Before you install SharePoint 2010 in conjunction with SQL Server 2012, you MUST have an installation of SharePoint 2010 SP1.  You can download integrated SharePoint 2010 with SP1 media directly from MSDN or else you can create the slipstreamed media yourself by extracting the SP1 contents and sticking it in the Updates folder.  If you want guidance on how to accomplish this, you can find additional information here:  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ronalg/archive/2011/07/11/slipstream-sharepoint-2010-sp1-and-language-packs-w-sp1-into-rtm.aspx

Of course, since SP1 introduces numerous problems of its own, you will want to also apply the latest SharePoint 2010 Cumulative Updates to ensure you have a working environment: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/ff800847
Once you have the appropriate SharePoint installation media, as many SharePoint Administrators already know, if you do not use the Standalone installation of SharePoint 2010, you are forced to use a Server Farm installation.  In this scenario, the SharePoint Configuration Wizard prompts for domain credentials.

Of course, setting up a domain controller is a particularly time consuming operation and I just did not need that functionality for my development environment.

So, instead, after installing SQL 2012 on my machine, I utilized the PowerShell command New-SPConfigurationDatabase to pre-create my Server Farm using local account credentials.  http://samirvaidya.blogspot.com/2012/03/setting-up-sharepoint-farm-with-local.html


After my Server Farm was set up, I simply continued with my Server Farm installation as if I were installing SharePoint 2010 on a domain controller.  The SharePoint Configuration Wizard happily believes that it is part of a domain after running the New-SPConfigurationDatabase, so it was a snap after that!

No comments:

Post a Comment