Thursday, March 1, 2012

Installing Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Now that the Windows 8 Consumer Preview has been released, I decided to go ahead and try out an installation (in a virtual machine, of course).

  1. The initial installation screen is nearly the same as the installation process for Windows Vista and Windows 7 which requires some basic information to configure the hard disk regarding partitionin information etc.
  2. After the installation files have been copied over, the "new" installation process begins.
  3. One of the first new steps that I encountered was the option to choose a background color (by selecting a color from a sliding color palette) for my Windows desktop.  In addition, I could enter the name of my soon-to-be-configured computer as well.
  4. After completing this step, I was offered the option to choose "Express Settings" which allows Microsoft to automatically configure a set of defaults for the OS including items such as Windows Updates, Notification settings and Security settings.  If I choose not to use the Express Settings, I can alternatively customize the individual settings myself.
  5. Finally, I have the option to "Sign In" with my pre-existing Windows Account (Windows Live ID) to enable me to perform various operations including synchronizing my files and other content to the Windows Cloud.  If I choose not to do this or if an Internet connection is unavailable, I am able to create a local Windows User Account instead.
  6. After this is all configured, I can then see the new Windows 8 Desktop!  Overall, the entire process took about 30 minutes installing it inside of a virtual machine (I was using VMWare Workstation v. 8.02).  Below you can see the Windows 8 Desktop:

No comments:

Post a Comment