Saturday, January 8, 2011

Using the TFPT Scorch command

For those of you who are not familiar with TFPT, TFPT stands for Team Foundation Power Tools.  For functionality that is not available directly through Team Foundation Server, one can install the Team Foundation Power Tools (which are available for download from the Visual Studio Gallery).

Two of the especially useful options in TFPT are the treeclean and the scorch commands.

The other day, I wanted to use the scorch command so that I could ensure that the source code that I had on disk was identical to the code stored in TFS Source Control.  However, one of the problems that I encountered was that I needed to pass login credential information in order to execute the command and wonder of wonders, there was no documentation on how to do it!

So, after doing some searching on the Internet, I finally came up with a viable solution:
Use the /login switch in the format /login: <domain>\username,password

Therefore, in order to use the command so that I could get it to work properly, I used the following format:
tfpt scorch <local workspace path> /recursive /login:<domain>\username,password /noprompt

It is worthwhile to note that the tfpt command is not registered in Path Variables, therefore, you will not be able to execute this at any old command prompt.  Instead, you must open a Visual Studio Command Prompt to execute this command.

Hope that helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment