Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Upgrading from Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2012 R2

Normally, I always perform clean installations of my environments in virtual machines and therefore have never attempted to perform an upgrade installation from one OS to another in the past.

However, I had set up an Active Directory Domain Controller with ADFS on Windows Server 2012 that took me quite a bit of time to set up and I was hoping to preserve my effort by simply performing an upgrade to Windows Server 2012 R2.

So, I began the installation from the Windows Server 2012 R2 media and while the installation was proceeding with the compatibility check, I received the following error message:






Of course, the link mentioned in the dialog refers to this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1d502209-cdb9-4e13-9a6c-57ad6c9d1e8b

As you can tell, this is an outdated article that refers to Windows Server 2008 R2 instead of Windows Server 2012 R2.

I could not proceed with the upgrade without completing this step, so instead of attempting to figure out how to resolve this issue with outdated documentation, I just went ahead and re-installed my OS with Windows Server 2012 R2 instead.

If someone knows how to get around this issue, I would love to hear your solution!!

No comments:

Post a Comment