Friday, April 1, 2016

Why I still hate the Windows 10 Start Menu

With the release of Windows 10 and the re-introduction of the Windows 10 Start Menu, I was thinking I might be able to get used to the new Windows 10 Start Menu, but, unfortunately, I was VERY VERY WRONG!

Windows 10 provides a new "Search Web and Windows" Search icon or Search bar (depending on your settings/preferences).

However, even after installing an application such as "Microsoft Web Platform Installer" and attempting to search my machine for this application, these are the results of my findings:






As you can see from the screenshot above, Windows 10 is not finding the application that I have installed on the machine.  Instead, it is attempting to search the Web for this application!

 However, if I simply jump into the "All apps" section, I can quite readily find the installed application as shown below:



In contrast, if I use Classic Shell (http://classicshell.net/) to search Windows 10, the search results are remarkably different:






As you can see from the screenshot above, the results are accurately discovering the installed application on Windows 10 rather than attempting to search the Web for this application.

Therefore, as you can probably guess by now, I am sticking with using Classic Shell for the foreseeable future!!

No comments:

Post a Comment