Friday, July 1, 2016

Using Resource Manager to manage Azure Virtual Machines

As many who have worked with Windows Azure over the last few years, may know that Windows Azure switched from a Classic Service Management model to a Resource Manager model.

Unfortunately, there are still a large number of sample scripts available on the web that refer to the Classic Service Management model, so I needed to start finding out how to work with the new Azure Resource Manager model from my Windows PowerShell scripts.

Thankfully, I finally came across this Microsoft Azure article which describes some of the commands needed to work with Azure Resource Manager and virtual machines:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-windows-ps-manage/

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-windows-ps-create/

Naturally, the piece that was missing from this article was how to put all the pieces together end-to-end so that I could log into Windows Azure and then manage my Azure Virtual Machines!

So, after going through some additional articles, I was finally able to piece together this PowerShell script:


No comments:

Post a Comment